Sunday, October 20, 2013

Crochet Milestone

Happy Sunday, my friends!  This is probably my favorite day of the week.  I never have to work on Sunday, so I get to sleep in, stay in my pajamas for an hour or two, have a second (or third) cup of coffee, and enjoy some downtime.  On this particular Sunday, I thought I'd share a bit of happy news with my blog friends before heading out to my monthly Make:Tulsa meeting to discuss our plans to keep our city crafty.  I want to tell you about my biggest crochet project to date, but allow me to give you the full story first.  I already introduced you to my Gran last year, a wonderful woman who I am still missing very much.  What I did not mention in that post is that Gran loved to crochet, and she would use this skill to celebrate special events in the lives of her loved ones. Now that she's gone, I wanted to make sure someone carried on this tradition. So when I found out my sister-in-law was pregnant with a little boy, I started working on my very first crocheted afghan.

Baby Afghan

Everyone told me this would be quite the undertaking, which I definitely found to be true, but not in a way that was aggravating to me at all.  For hours and hours, I worked my way through the blanket, all the while counting the months and putting love into every stitch.  I used the softest cotton yarn I could find, which felt almost like satin because it was spun so fine.  I wish you could feel the texture of the blanket through this photo, because it's such a soft, calming sensation.  

Baby Afghan

I put the finishing touches on the blanket the day my new nephew was born.  The ultimate payoff was not the moment when I handed the blanket over to my brother and his family, although that was incredibly rewarding and almost ceremonious to me because I felt like my Gran would be happy to know that her spirit still shines so bright in my family.  But the real rewards came when I got to hold the sweet baby it was intended for, and know that he was healthy, safe, and loved beyond measure.

New Nephew

Even though he was born over a week ago, I can still barely contain my excitement over his arrival in my family.  I just had to share my happiness with my friends out there in the world.  Do you have something happy you'd like to share too?  If so, tell me!  I love good news!  What's bringing a smile to your lovely face today?

4 comments:

Pili said...

Awww, look at that sweet baby face! They are such little wonders! I'm so happy to hear you've taken up your Gran's mantle and are crocheting projects of love! My grandma on my mum's side spent a lot of her free time crocheting, till she had her first stroke at 95! I have so many of her crocheted pieces and love having those physical memories of her.

Good news? Tomorrow I'm leaving for two weeks in India with the bf! =D

Briana Shepley said...

It's absolutely beautiful, Holly! Bravo! And congrats on the new, adorable nephew :)

DancingMooney said...

Holly, that blanket is SO special and congratulations to your whole family for this new bundle of joy!

I do actually have some garlands in my shop I'm offering as PIF's right now, so if you'd like to stop by and help yourself, please do!

xo!!!

Dollgift by Rheea said...

You're one of the most amazing friends I've known, buddy. I'll always be grateful for having started a blog some years ago and met you through the blogging world. Even though we've never met in person (which I know we will in the near future), reading your blog post always gave me a warm feeling.

Thank you for sharing yet another beautiful story with us. Your nephew is so blessed to have such a wonderful aunt! Sending lots of love and hugs to you and your family. <3

Rheea